Friday, 6 July 2012

Birthday Wishes to Fairies & Angels

Good Morning Bleeps.

Today is a very special day because thirteen years ago my youngest daughter was born. My little Alice came into the world via c-section. It was planned because the placenta was too low for her to come into the world the natural way. My other three girls were all just above seven and a half pounds but little Alice came into the world at a tiny five and a half pounds earning her the nickname Tink (after Disney's fairy Tinkerbell).

It wasn't completely smooth sailing when she was born as she somehow contracted Staph infection from someone at the hospital and ended back in the hospital a few days after we got home (on a children's ward) on a drip for a week. I noticed she had some skin lesions before we were discharged on day five but I was told maybe I had scratched her or stuck the nappy (diaper) tape to her skin. Since she is my fourth child and it wasn't like I was a "new" Mum, I knew there was something wrong. They took a swab and sent me home with a medicated powder and I was told to just keep an eye on it. As the lesions spread over her body, the midwife that visited me at home jumped into action, called the hospital and demanded that they admit my baby for treatment. Thank God for her because if it had been left it could have turned systemic and since she was such a tiny peanut, quite dangerous.

My Baby Girl is a Teenager - how did THAT happen?
It was a stressful time but thankfully she recovered and we were home after a week. I refused to leave her side and so I lived on a diet of crisps and biscuits for a week, not ideal when I had just gone through a major surgery myself with the C-Section but since I had no family support (my family are all in the USA and my Ex's family were just AWOL) I didn't really have much choice.

Looking back on that time I realise that it was actually quite difficult and very stressful but it is now just a memory and I am thankful for her good health. Not all parents have it so "easy".

Today I saw a Tweet from the parents of a baby girl called Lottie. She shares Tink's birthday and today turns one. She is a miracle baby in so many ways because she was born with a rare disorder that meant her parents had to face the awful choice of either turning off the machines that were keeping her alive or wait and hope for a liver transplant that would save her life. Thankfully Lottie recieved her liver just in time and became the youngest and smallest baby to survive a liver transplant. Tomorrow her charity single will be released to raise awareness of her story and also the need for more organ donors. Please visit the website here and download the single tomorrow. Please share the link on your Facebook, Twitter, Blog or however you share ... if it wasn't for the gift of that liver then little Lottie probably wouldn't be with her parents today.

Happy Birthday Tink and Happy Birthday Lottie. May you both be blessed with love, happiness and most importantly GOOD health.

Lots of love.

xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment