Good Morning Bleeps.
What a crap night. I woke up at 3am and that was it, wide awake. Insomnia sucks, doesn't it? I think the worst part for me is laying there in the dark and quiet because my mind starts racing with all the things I am stressed about, right now that is a LOT.
It occurred to me last night that I have been floating down that great Egyptian river - denial!
When I went in for my brain MRI results in December I was fully expecting to be told that there was nothing abnormal to see. After all, when my Neuro thought I had MS when I was in my 20's that is exactly what did happen. I had all sorts of tests leading up to the MRI back then. One was with electrodes all over my body testing my muscles responses to electrical currents and another where the Doc put hot and cold on my shoulder blades, asking me to tell him what I could feel. Those tests were enough for him to send me for the MRI but it was clear.
When my Neuro's secretary called me in December saying the Doctor wanted to see me to discuss my results I just thought it was to put my mind at rest. That was not the case, in fact he showed me all of the white matter on my brain and told me that yes in fact, there were lesions and this was MS.
I was OK with the diagnosis, almost relieved I suppose. Sure I had some up and down moments as you would expect. I was joking about it one minute and crying the next but I was able to take it on board. When I went to see him on the NHS in January (because I was a private patient up until then) as many of you know, he changed my diagnosis back to "probable MS" pending more tests.
I think somewhere between January and now, on some level, I have convinced myself that I do NOT have MS. I have been consumed thinking about the "next step". My mind has been going along the lines of "when I get the negative results next week then I will go back to the GP ... blah blah blah".
It hit me last night that I don't actually know what he will say or what my results are. I have just been assuming. I have been fully expecting the Lumbar Puncture to be clear as well as the spine MRI. I reminded myself last night that I thought that in December too with my brain MRI and it wasn't the case.
What if I go next Thursday and he says that the other tests confirm his original diagnosis? That thought hasn't really been occurring to me, but it would seem that the reality of it has hit me.
I was laying in bed with that feeling of adrenaline rushing through my body, that panic feeling that you get when you think of something awful happening. I haven't felt like this up until now and maybe that is just the body's way of protecting itself. After all, I have had to wait for two months for these results and if I had felt this fear for all that time then surely by now I would have gone completely bonkers.
I really thought I had made my peace with this but actually I haven't at all. If he confirms it is MS then I am going to be a mess. If he tells me it is negative and I am back in limbo I am going to be a mess. Basically I am already a bloody mess. Sure on the outside I am holding it together but if you were to slice me open there are thousands of little Karens running around in circles with their hands in the air, screaming obscenities.
Bugger. Bugger. Bugger.
It isn't like it is going to change anything one way or the other. My symptoms aren't going to just disappear one way or the other are they? I don't believe in all of the drugs so I won't be taking any "treatment" other than my vitamins and trying to live somewhat healthy. So, really, does it matter? When I think about it on a conscious level I am able tell myself that it really doesn't. The LABEL doesn't matter or make a difference. On a different level I am shitting my pants. I am genuinely scared and I don't even know why?!
Oh well, one day a time I suppose, my guess is that today is going to be a long one. I wish my sister & my mum lived closer. It is at times like this that I really, REALLY feel the distance between us. It is at times like this when I wish they could just pop over for coffee and give me a hug.
So enough about me, how are YOU?

I hope you get the results you need, it cant be easy not knowing either way.
ReplyDeleteAnd i totally sympathise with the insomnia, i was up until 4am this morning - just laying in bed thinking things over.
I am glad to hear that you will be resisting the drugs. They have a very poor track record of success - and their "success" is that they might, possibly, give some people a higher rate of remission. No cure, obviously, no reduction in the rate of disease progression,just more money for Big Pharma. We are their MS cash cows. The Gilenya tablet is the current new drug de jour. The Amnericans love it because their insurance providers pay the drug companies. Over here, a more realistic NICE says it is a waste of money because it's benefits are minimal - and one of the potential sides effect is DEATH.
ReplyDeleteI too have been given that dreaded diagnosis of MS,and I also resist taking the drugs One because I have allergys to preservatives and lactose. Two, because I prefer the natural way of taking care of my symptoms. I have symptoms EVERYDAY, some worse than others! When I was given that word MS, it really did answer a lot of questions I had been having, about why I feel this way. WE are here more of us than we care to admit! Keep strong, and keep positive! After all, we are the ones who deal with this MONSTER daily!
ReplyDeleteHoney ... I am confused about my feelings ATM and I think I am just trying to distract myself for the week...I am not looking forward to be told I now have a chronic illness and that my son now has a higher risk of getting it and I may now question whether I want to extend my family. My opinion about the drugs is that if I am paying a specialist to treat me (yes a private patient) and he is one of the best in our country and well respected in the world, and he wants me to start on some...then I a, going to trust him and do it. I guess I have no other option as I have no experience in this field and no-one I know has either. In the 3 months since I started on this rollar coaster (of hell?) I have already changed my lifestyle significantly. I am just doing what I can for my baby boy and being as effective as a mum I can be. I am sure I will also be a mess...this is not the 'adventure' I would have chosen...it not bloody fair....what can we do?? ... I plan on facing each challenge/day as it comes and if I feel like crap and want to feel sorry for myself auto going to but I don't think I will stay there to long....who knows but I know I have two people in this world that need me and by god I am gonna do what I can to be there.....at this stage I am looking forward to the holiday we are about to have and trying to forget the 'real' reason why we are there...but yes I too am just very torn about what I want my results to be on Thursday too:( either way we will face it together xoxoxo
ReplyDeleteKaren i'm not sure if you have been keeping up on the fun with CCSVI, but it is an exciting development. In Canada here we have been fighting for the right to have good blood flow. the govt is blocking us though. I hear in England the NHS is even worse. You need to educate yourself and fight for it. There are clinics around the world that will perform the angioplasty to open veins but they, in my mind at least, are shady.
ReplyDeletehttp://www.ccsvi.org/
http://www.nationalccsvisociety.org/
here are a couple of links to some basic information you need to fight for your right to good blood flow.
WR
I check your blog daily to keep up with how your doing, although I dont know you, I feel like we share a similar path. I hope you find the answers you are looking for and are able to move on and get on with living instead of sitting in the constant hell of wondering what is wrong with our bodies and minds. Hope your well
ReplyDeleteJules