I hope you all are having a lovely Sunday (or indeed whatever day it is that you are reading this). I woke up this morning from a nightmare. Was I being chased by a mass murderer of falling off a cliff? Nope, I was being told that I was no longer allowed to see my Neurologist because I had missed an appointment. Doesn't sound like much of a nightmare but it was really stressful as I was crying and begging, trying to explain that I need help (and treatment) and they can't just send me away.
I know where this is stemming from. When I saw my Neuro on Jan 12th he told me that although the MRI showed lesions on my brain, he wanted to send me for a lumbar puncture as well as another MRI on my spine and an EVP test. He called the LP unit as I sat in front of him and was advised that there were only fifteen people on the waiting list so I should be seen in two to three weeks.
I have to admit that I am really nervous about this test. I know people have told me that it really isn't bad and that it isn't the scary experience that many would have you believe but I am the woman who had three of my four babies with no drugs. No epidural for me and not because I am some sort of wonder woman (although I bet I would look great in the costume) but because I am scared stiff of the idea of a needle anywhere near my spine. Yikes!
I did have my fourth little Angel (don't care that she is twelve now, she is still my little 5lb newborn in my eyes) by caesarean so I had to have the spinal block then but all cared about was the health of my baby, my own fear didn't come into it.Anyway, I have had letters for all of my tests (MRI, EVP, Cardio Stress Test, Heart Monitor) and yet the one that I expected first hasn't arrived. In my dream the hospital called me to say that because I had pulled a "no show" for the lumbar puncture test that they had removed me from the Neuro's list. I was trying to explain to them that I never got the appointment. I was crying and pleading but the receptionist was a complete cow-bag and refused to believe me.
I woke up with the feeling of frustration and despair. It would seem that my MS is following me into my dreams. I think that as much as I am not in a hurry to have this done, I will phone my Neuro's secretary tomorrow and just make sure there hasn't been a blip in the system.
Today my face is driving me crazy with the numbness and my left arm feels heavy and weird, like it isn't part of my body. I am putting on a brave face and am about to make bacon sandwiches for breakfast. The family don't need to hear "yet again" how I am feeling. I am sure they must be getting as fed up of hearing it as I am of saying it.
So enough about me, how are YOU?
It is horrible isn't it this ms. When you get your lumber puncture make sure it is done with X-ray. My lb came back ok. I am one of the few that has clear lb but I have everything else. Good luck anyway it isn't that bad if you get it done with X-ray xx
ReplyDeleteHI Shirley,
DeleteI have another friend who also had a clear LP so it makes me wonder if it is even worth putting myself through it. I dont know if it will be an x-ray one or not, I will ask. Thanks for reading as always. x
hi,you may actualy get this,iv'e been happy'ly sending comments (or so i thought!) for weeks
ReplyDeletebut pressing the wrong buttons !( what a numpty )anyway about the dreaded lumber punture its not as bad as you imagine ,i had one years ago and it was not so bad as i expected,(and im'e a soft git !) the thing to do after is to drink as mutch water as you can,otherwise you can be prone to a bad headache,i hope you get back to your running when you feel a bit fitter .i did a lot of it before the beast and i like to think it helped to ease the severaty of said beast .i still ran when in remishone and beleave it did me good.not been able to run this last year or so but looking forward to the day i can start again.( god loves an optomist )anyway i shall apologise for the spelling and wish you well for the l.p.
9
9or
Thanks Clifford :) I have heard about the headache and that you are supposed to lay flat for quite a while too. Ugh, I am dreading it! Stay optimistic about the running, I will try to as well. We will get there!! Thanks for reading :) x
DeleteI had a lp 5 days after my very first MRI and 2 days after the words MS had entered my life. Due to the mess I was in (both physically and mentally)I completly fell apart. Crying for hours and being terrified. However when the doctors came to do it, it wasn't nearly as bad as I had thought. I did remove myself mentally from the procedure and thought of very rude memories! Good luck Karen and keep smiling! xx
ReplyDeletePS What is a x-ray lp?
Hi Emmie, It is an emotional roller coaster so I can understand why you were a mess. I am still waiting for the day when I will wake up and NOT feel a mess ;)
DeleteI think the xray one is where they use an xray to guide the needle, but I might be wrong. I will Google :)
Thanks for reading and leaving a comment. Keep well. x