Monday, 16 January 2012

Time To Get Busy

Morning friends.

I have woken up today with one thing on my mind, getting my accounts up-to-date so that I can get all of my paperwork over to my accountant. I have been procrastinating and now I have a mountain to climb to get it all done so that my tax return can be filed in time. I have been ignoring his phone calls and it is getting slightly embarrassing now. The problem is that I can't remember exactly what he asked me for, you see we spoke on the phone before I started using Post-It notes. Got to love these cognitive issues eh?

I have been so tired and fed up with feeling rubbish that really I have been putting off a lot of things lately. That leads to me laying there in the middle of the night with my usual insomnia, worried and getting knots in my stomach thinking of everything I have to do. They say stress is bad for MS and I am not really helping myself by putting jobs off and letting them build up. I know this but I just haven't figured out how to deal with it better.

I suppose one of the "tricks" I am going to have to learn is how to juggle what needs to be done every day (both from a personal point of view and business) with managing how I am feeling both physically and  emotionally.

How do other MSers do this? How do they get up every day and go to work, look after their families and get on with it? Is there a class I can go to? Can they send me some tips please?

I wonder if I had medication for the fatigue, would I have energy to get motivated every day? What if I could get a full night of sleep, would that help?

Also, I wonder how many MSers do a symptoms "check list" when they wake up like I do? Am I dizzy today? No? Cool! Oh wait, there is pressure in my head, is the ice-cube still in my brain? Yup, bloody thing hasn't "melted" yet, bummer! Can I feel my face? No but my lips aren't tingling and I can feel my tongue. Hey, every cloud!

Maybe this is a mental game to learn too. Do you ever stop doing a "check list", does this become the new "normal"?

I see a LOT of coffee being consumed today because I don't think Mr. Tax Man will be as understanding of my condition as my friends and family have been and so I must get done what needs to be done today, regardless of how my head feels.

So enough about me, how are YOU?

4 comments:

  1. Oh no TAX TIME! Yes, I agree cognitive issues UGH... coffee anyone?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOTS of coffee. Didnt get it all done but I am getting there.

      Delete
  2. Karen,

    There is a time to get busy and a time to unwind. When I'm not feeling well but have important things that simply must be done I try to do whatever it is first thing in the morning.

    I have a bed in my office so I just close the door for 20-30 minutes when I need to and have a quick nap. On bad days I may do this 3 times.

    I like the symptom tracker because my prayer is to see myself getting better. Right now I am trying to break my record of going 18 days without leg weakness. The tracker shows me how I am compared to a week ago, a month ago etc and because of the cognitive issues I can't generally recall this information accurately.

    I have almost gotten used to my weird symptoms that change daily and hourly. The trap for young players is that you can focus on these irritating, frustrating symptoms too much to the detriment of your day or you can choose to focus on your work, helping others etc.

    Not to trivialise the symptoms such as numbness/tingling, leg weakness, cognitive issues, fatigue and weird electrical sensations that remain with me in some form but if they aren't going to kill me I figure I'll just push on. In the words of the great Jim Morrison you need to 'break on through to the other side'

    I think post it notes and electronic notes on the phone are brilliant to ensure you don't forget important things.

    Keep going little grasshopper, you're doing great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Grasshoppper, that made me smile! You are so wise, I will learn from you Master :p

      I think I am too "in my head" at the moment. Today is a bad day so it is hard to be rational. Today I want to scream and cry about how unfair but that wont get me anywhere and there are people worse off. I am lucky!

      The symptom tracker is a good idea. I will use that too. I hope you break your record of 18 days (are you on the right track with this now?)

      I dont allow myself to nap, maybe I should do that. I am afraid I will feel worse if I sleep in the day but I havent really tried so who knows.

      Thanks as ALWAYS for your support my friend, you are a shining star for me.

      x

      Delete