Thursday, 15 March 2012

McBrilliant

Good Morning Bleeps.

If you caught yesterday's blog you will know that I went to see McFly in concert with two of my girls, it was brilliant. There is something quite special about seeing a band you love playing in a small venue. Folkestone's Lees Cliff Hall only hold up to 1000 people so this was very "up close and personal".

Maddy and her friend went ahead to line up early so they would be near the front. Kassidy and I got there ten minutes before the doors opened and as we walked toward the venue one of Maddy's friends spotted us and called my name. I went over and gave Maddy and her friends a hug, the excitement in the air was electric. All of a sudden the doors open and we were swept up in the wave of kids surging forward and sort of just went with it. On some level I was feeling a tiny bit guilty for pushing in because it is so not me (anyone that knows me will tell you that I hate people who cut in line) BUT I thought "what the hell" and just went with it. I didn't have the balls to look behind me though, the daggers I could feel in the back of my head were punishment enough.



Me and my lovely girls <3


As we got inside I handed my ticket to possibly the most unattractive security man I have ever seen. He took my ticket and said "wow, if I knew you were coming I would have combed my hair". I did have a chuckle but it's hardly a compliment is it?!

We went into the venue and were right up the front, brilliant. Before long it started to fill up and we were quickly surrounded by a mass of teenage girls. Kassidy, my 18 year old kept saying "Are you OK Mum?  are you sure? Your aren't too hot are you? Are you OK?". She was a proper Mother Hen clucking around me, I know she was worried because she knows I can't take the heat these days but I reassured her that I was fine. 


Maddy in the crowd.


The opening acts came on (there were two) and the crowd surged forward. I was being pushed from behind so I just pushed back. You know, teenagers have no respect for personal space ha ha!

Before long I was baking. I could feel myself getting a bit light-headed but no way was I going to a) admit it to Kassidy b) admit it to myself or c) lose my great spot.  Security started to hand plastic cups of water to the crowd and one of Maddy's friends grabbed on and handed it back to me. I was being taken care of!

Eventually the lights went out, the music started and the crowd went wild. McFly were on stage. I felt like I was 18 again, screaming, dancing and as Maddy would say "getting down with the kids". I lasted three whole songs and then I started to have a mental argument with myself.

Danny

Karen: You are getting too hot.
Karen: No, I'm OK. Keep going.
Karen: Nope, the room is spinning, you are going to pass out.
Karen: Oh stop nagging, I am fine. I can handle this.
Karen: No you bloody can't, get out of this crowd before you hit the deck and freak out your kids.
Karen: *sigh* Oh, OK then. Where is the bar?

I looked over at Kassidy and she instantly knew that I needed to get out of there. We struggled through the crowd and into the bar for bottles of water. The cool air hit me and it was like heaven.

Dougie


We watched the rest of the concert from the side but since it is such a small venue, the view was still amazing. McFly were just brilliant and for a few hours the black floaters were replaced with stars in my eyes. 





Today I am completely knackered. My legs are aching and even though I had a great night sleep I am exhausted but it was totally worth it. McFly ROCKED!


My apologies for photo quality, all taken on a mobile phone.

So enough about me, how are YOU?






5 comments:

  1. Hi Karen,

    It looks like you all had a great night :)
    Your blog today has really made me think - I've come really close to passing out at two gigs, once when I was 15 or 16 and once when I was 20.

    I always put it down to some weird form of claustrophobia as it always happened in a crowd (except I'm not claustrophobic at all). Hubby and I are off to see a band in Cardiff tonight, so I'll make sure to keep to the outskirts, or better still, prop up the bar ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi chuck,it sounds like you had a great night,well done you.your daughters are doing a grand job of looking after you ,mine are the same,a bit to mutch sometimes, they cramp my style when all i want to do is grow old disgracefully ,have a great day. im'e going to!have to go now my drug dealer is at the door.(its the chemist with my prescription realy,just want to sound cool !) ;-)x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Karen, I wanted to join in coz I know about the committee in the head, the spinning room, the panic attacks, the stubborn pride of not letting anyone see that I'm struggling, the fear of passing out and thinking what will happen to me? the overprotective children who can see the switch in me from manageability to unmanageable, sound sensitivity so for me concerts or loud restaurants are a no no as my hearing is amplified and it aint some form of claustrophia, because it is claustrophia and vertigo, vision starts flickering like a static tv, black floaters bring on more angst, heat intolearnce, buzzing in limbs worsens, tingling in hands, arms, legs and feet increases MS hug starts gripping harder and I am in a similar state as you describe above.....getting a place away from the crowd is cool but if the fatigue comes on quickly its usually home and bed! Oh and the bar is no longer an option because of a prior drinking problem so limit self to antidepressant for the knock out effect!!!! Nice blog Karen thanx for your link
    :)x x

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you were able to enjoy and dance with your lovely girls. You are quite the beautiful bunch!! It is also a great step to listen to the pushy voice in your head (my name for the rational one) telling you when to back out. It must have been hard to do, but it was the right thing.
    I read you daily, it makes being in my boat seem not so lonely, and I find your posts so easy to relate to. I've been struggling for a diagnosis for 4 years and still wait. Bless you for sharing your blog, even if it was for your personal notes. I appreciate you and look forward to your messages. (in my world we email each other, HA!)
    Praying for an easier day for you tomorrow.
    angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so happy that you had so much for fun with your children, and you listened to that 'little voice' and got out of the crowd and cooled off :) Great pics!! So glad that your kids are so supportive of you and watch over you :)

    I love reading your posts. I read them EVERY day...puts a smile on my face when I see one of them come to my inbox :)

    ReplyDelete