Friday, 23 March 2012

Losing The Plot

Good Morning Bleeps.

Actually it is NOT a good morning. I am in so much pain and was yesterday too. I was fighting back tears as I kissed Phil and the girls goodbye when they left for their day a little while ago because I feel really down.

I am sort of used to dealing with some of these symptoms now and nothing is really stopping me in my tracks but this pain, well, I actually don't know what to do with myself.

When I was pregnant with my (now) 15 year old daughter Madeleine, my Doctor was concerned by how many urinary tract infections I was getting. I had suffered my whole life with them so I didn't really think about the "why" and just accepted it as part of how my quirky body works. I was sent to a specialist who ran a whole bunch of tests and it was discovered that I have a dodgy right kidney.

Now I know that "dodgy kidney" isn't very technical but I can't remember the exact diagnosis. What I do know is that my little right kidney doesn't function as it should but was functioning "just enough" that it didn't warrant taking out. I was advised to take a tablet every night when I went to bed to keep infection away from my bladder (and to reduce the risk of damaging the kidney any further). The problem is that I have a bit of a phobia of medication. I don't even take a pill for a headache and so I never did as I was told. I know, big shock!


Then a few years back (probably about five) I started getting abdominal pain on the right side, it used to wake me up at night it was that bad. I instantly thought of my poor liver because back then I was in a very unhappy marriage and drinking too much wine (not proud but just being honest) and so I went off to the doctors. He ran full blood tests (including liver function) and ordered a complete abdominal ultrasound. Everything came back fine. I remember laying there while the technician looked at all of my organs asking "is my liver ok?". He reassured me that it was fine and I won't lie that I was very relieved (and I confess somewhat surprised).

The pain continued so I went back to my GP who decided to send me for a colonoscopy. I know quite a lot of people that have had this test and reassured me that there was nothing to it. Yeah, right. Let's just say never again and leave it there. Nothing sinister was discovered and so the abdominal pain was never really explained other than it was suggested that maybe I had IBS. Personally, I didn't buy it but what else could it be? I'd had the tests and nothing else was flagging up as a possible reason so I just accepted it and carried on. Eventually the pain subsided by itself.

Yesterday I started to get serious pain in my right side and it kept waking me up all through the night. I went to bed by 8.30 because I was literally dead on my feet. I felt like I had been hit by a bus. I was even struggling to walk, my legs were so heavy. I was having to make a conscious effort to tell my brain to move each leg and I was exhausted.

Today the pain is still with me. It is in my back on the right side but is radiating right through my body. I can't really tell if the pain is coming from my kidney, from my abdominals or both! All I know is that it really bloody hurts and I don't know what to do about it.

It is at times like this when Lupus pops back into my mind because I know that Lupus can affect internal organs, mainly the kidneys and heart. My visions is shit again today and I am dizzy. My face is numb, my legs are heavy and burning. I am so pissed off with feeling like crap every bloody day. Honestly, I feel like I am going mad.

What do I do? Suffer out the pain and hope it goes away again? Go back to my GP to be treated like a hypochondriac nut job? No thanks. I honestly want to cry because I feel so alone and like I am going crazy. Sometimes I wish that how I was feeling on the inside would reflect in the way I actually look because then maybe other people could understand just how awful I feel.

I worry also because I have no faith in the NHS. My Uncle was sick for TWO YEARS and was fobbed off by his GP. He was suffering with pain and throwing up. They ruled out heart issues but ran no other tests, they just told him it was heartburn. He collapsed at work and was taken by ambulance to hospital, again all the heart stuff was checked but nothing else and he was discharged and sent home. Maybe I am too simplistic in the way I think but if someone is COLLAPSING and throwing up and you rule out one thing, don't you keep investigating until you figure out the cause?

He collapsed again and went to A&E. He was FINALLY diagnosed with gall stones but because he had been fobbed off for so long, one of those stones managed to block up his bile duct causing his pancreas to be poisoned. After two weeks in hospital his organs failed and he died. He was 41. This was just three years ago and I will never get over the anger at the way he was failed so disgustingly by our medical system and it certainly doesn't fill me with confidence, especially since I feel fobbed off too.

So my friends, what do I do? I don't feel like I have a Doctor that I can go to and even if I did, I bet they have a little note on my file that says "whack job alert, just smile and nod". The reality is that in the last two years I have only been to see them maybe 8 times and I certainly am not one of those people that is down at the surgery every week.

I have contacted a private Lupus clinic in London but testing and appointments will cost hundreds of pounds so unless I win the lottery, that isn't going to happen. Oh I don't know, hopefully the pain will just go on it's own and I will be able to get back into a positive mind-space again. Today I am sad, in pain and my mind is in over-drive with all the possibilities of what this might or might not be. I just have no faith in the NHS right now and this makes me feel scared.

So enough about me, how are YOU?















8 comments:

  1. Oh dear Karen, so sorry to hear that you are having such a bad time ;-( I really do feel for you & all I can do is send my love & let you know that I am thinking of you, which sounds s very trivial......but I do not know what else to say.
    I just hope that you can get some help from somewhere, please keep me posted.

    I have been doing plenty of tears at the moment too with this latest relapse bringing me down. My legs so heavy too I can hardly drag myself along. I have just received a lovely basket of spring flowers from a dear friend so that has cheered me ;-) she has lupus so she really understands what we go through too.
    Please stay as positive as you possibly can, & know that lots of friends are with you & wishing you well dear friend.
    Lots of love & hugs
    Sheila R
    Xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sheila, you just made me cry :) I feel so blessed to have such lovely people supporting me, especially on days like today.

      I am sorry that you are struggling too :( How lovely to get flowers, gestures like that make such a difference.

      Lots of love to you my lovely friend.

      xxxxxx

      Delete
  2. I learned the hard way about UTIs and MS. I now realise that I hadn't been emptying my badder fully for years and that is a seriously unhealthy thing to do. Eventually, a UTI gave me septicaemia and 2 weeks in hospital last year. Thank f*ck I am generally pretty healthy because septicaemia is very often a short cut to the afterlife. A friend of mine is a funeral director in Hollywood and she said it is often the cause mentioned on death certificates. I now have to catheterise (MS causing the bladder to stop working naturally) but the plus side of that ignominy is that I now completely empty my bladder 4 times a day, every day. I also do dip tests on my urine to check for infection and, if there is any sign of one, am given antibiotics because, like stress, UTIs can cause all kinds of MS symptoms to worsen. You have been warned ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. high chuck,its about time that bloody hosptal got its finger out and sorted you test results out.its not a thing you want to be kept waiting for.dont they know stress is bad for ms ,and were all geting stressed out here !!!like every one else i hope some sence comes out of the buggers soon,till then like everyone out here i wish you well,stay strong better days are comming .;-)x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know what the answer is. I do alot of praying, I believe God hears our cry, and faith is all I have sometimes. It's sad to me that you are still waiting on test results, and that the healthcare system is such a mess in the UK. I try to say to myself, it could be so much worse, but I know some days, it don't feel that way. Chin up buttercup, feel better soon!!<3xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hunni. I'm sending you big get well hugs xxxxx Gill xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. I would get your Gallbladder checked out. Your symptoms are characteristic of an attack. Check out this website I found with more info. Hope you get some relief real soon.

    http://www.gallbladderattack.com/gallbladdersymptoms.shtml

    Jessie

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello Karen,

    I really relate to the stabbing pain in the right abdomen that then radiates to other places. I started getting this last November and went to the doctor who ran tests but found nothing. It continued and he suspected appendicitis, I went to emergency and the doctor there also said the same but the surgeon said no.

    This abdominal issue has stayed with me until the beginning of Lent when I decided to really go hard core on my diet and gave up gluten. So I am now a gluten-free vegan plus seafood plus eggwhite man.

    Anyway, the big deal is that since giving up gluten I don't have this nagging pain anymore. So, for me anyway, the problem was probably just... a bit of wind. Poo or phew!

    The blood test said I am not coeliac which means I am not allergic to wheat, barley and rye but I guess I am just intolerant of these foods.

    I'll bet you have recently ingested a half a loaf of bread with chips, tomato sauce and vinegar???

    So, what have you been eating lovely one?

    Blessings
    Alex

    ReplyDelete