Thursday, 5 January 2012

My New Clothing Line?

Yesterday started out quite well.  My symptoms, although present, weren't as bad as they usually are which is surprising since I had hardly any sleep the night before.

I decided that I would take advantage of feeling a bit better and managed to get quite a lot of work done in the morning.

Now, I am a bit of control freak (a BIT? I hear my family say!) and although I have read that with this disease you should take it easy and try to not "over-do", it just isn't my style to do what I am told.

During my research on many websites, books and articles I have read of people with MS that run marathons, swim the channel and conquer dragons (I'm being facetious but you get my point) and so I am determined to control MS rather than let it control ME.  I want to battle with dragons!

With hindsight I probably did too much because by the time it came to do the school run I was feeling a bit "squiffy".  I had arranged to meet my daughter at a nearby supermarket (avoiding the awful school car park and getting food at the same time, win win!).  As I drove to the store I felt as though I was in control of a roller coaster instead of a VW Golf and by the time I got to my destination the ground was positively moving underneath me.  Please don't yell at me, I wont dizzy drive again. I have already been told off by my other half for not calling him but another issue I have is asking for help.

I navigated around the supermarket on the verge of hysterics as I walked on what felt like candy floss (that's cotton candy to my friends across the pond) and the aisles of the supermarket swam in front of me.  Shopping list in hand I was determined to get all of the items on it and soldier on.  What I actually wanted to do was sit on the floor and cry.

As I got near the last aisle I completely lost my balance and stumbled to the side.  Luckily I was holding tight to the trolley (cart) so I didn't fall on my bum and totally embarrass myself.  As I stumbled, a passing man shot me a look of total disgust and it occurred to me that this complete stranger thought I was drunk or high on something.  I suppose I must have looked quite a sight but it hurt, BAD, and it took every ounce of my strength not to completely lose the plot.

Once again my outward appearance was not matching what was going on inside my body.  I wanted to run away and hide in shame (although for now my running days are over so I would have had to crawl away) but then I thought to myself why should I let someone else's misconception (and judgement, the jerk) make me feel worse that I already did?



Maybe if I had an obvious outward sign of feeling unwell (or a T-shirt?) then maybe the same man might have offered a helping hand or asked me if I was OK.  Perhaps this is one of the lessons that I might have to learn as I get to grips with this thing - grow a thick skin and don't worry what other people think.  Through my whole life I have always worried far too much about what other people think of me and I have always wished that was something I could change.  MS might force me to to do just that so maybe I should look at it as a gift.


So enough about me, how are YOU?
x

12 comments:

  1. Kaz ~ thank you for sharing with us. I only wish I could assist in some way xxx.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Donna - you assist every day with your support. xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Karen,

    I've been reading about your journey on facebook for the last few weeks and yesterday read all your blogs thus far. I am so impressed with your blog and just wanted to offer some sort of encouragement! I have nothing to give apart from this. I am not a sufferer but am so inspired by your attitude and the way you are coping. The way you are coping is fab, even when you want to lie down and cry. Please take this note as a massive vote of confidence for you xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Rache, thank you SO much!

    Your message just gave me chills (or is it more tingling? haha) and I am sincerely touched that you not only have read the blog but also taken the time to comment.

    I truly appreciate all of the support and to be fair, I think I would have crawled under the duvet and refused to come out without it all.

    Thanks again.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI Karen, I posted several days ago however must have done something wrong as it never appeared so I will attempt to repeat it! Thank you for doing this blog....I am very proud of you for sharing your experiences, fears, concerns and triumphs. Your bravery will not only help strengthen you, but will also empower others with MS. Knowlege is our friend. It is through education that those with MS, along with family and friends, will learn how to deal with all situations in a positive manner. I just saw your line of clothing! It is fabulous!! You are on your way to triumph and being an incredible example to the world:) Love and Hugs ~ Joy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love it! Yes, a tee-shirt would be just the 'tickety boo'. I see another business arm for you starting up with many different slogans:

    'Can I borrow your legs as mine have MS'
    'Wee and Poo maybe funny but not to people with MS'
    'Yes, I do look bloody good and I have MS'
    'Are you Tired? Try living with MS, you'll feel 100% worse'
    'Being kind to people with MS is kinda cool'

    Keep up the good work

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your blog is fantastic. I was diagnosed in June on the day of my 30th birthday and it has been a roller coaster both before and since! It is really nice to read someone's elses story and journey! Thank-you xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dearest Joy,

    My second mother - how I love you! I am so blessed that you are in my life (especially since you have seen me grow from a spotty teenager) and I so very grateful for your continued love and support.

    Your words of encouragement have lifted me so much, you are a rock and an inspiration.

    xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. TingleTingle,

    You have been such a supportive friend since I have recently met you, open and honest.

    I love those slogans too :) I saw one yesterday that said:

    I dont look sick? Well you don't look stupid. Looks can be deceiving.

    Its a bit harsh but it did make me chuckle :)

    Best wishes,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  10. Emmie,

    I am glad you enjoyed reading my story and hope you stop by often. It has been comforting for me to speak to other MSers and I would love to "give back" support to others on this wild ride.

    Best wishes to you,
    Karen
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. one of the hardest things for me has been the looks, whispers, giggling, and down right meanness of others.... amazing that the human species can be so horrible, treating another human so badly... but i guess it's always been that way... it's only recently that i've become a victim of this torment... talk about raising the awareness level in my own little world....

    i did vow that i will no longer sit in the bathroom crying about it... yes, i did that...for at least 1/2 hour the first time it happened....

    no more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that it is human nature to laugh or judge what they dont understand. I stopped at a pedestrian crossing yesterday to let a lady cross and she was really finding it difficult to walk, she was slow and wobbly. Her husband was helping her. I couldnt help but wonder if she has MS. Probably not but a year ago it wouldnt have crossed my mind, it is all about awareness.

      People can be cruel but we have to just hold our heads high are realise that it isnt about US and all about who they are.

      No more tears (well, actually I am sure there will be loads)!

      Love to you
      x

      Delete