I am happy to report that my headache is GONE. Well, not completely gone but the excruciating pain is no more and what is left is a muzzy, hangover type feeling. I am very used to dealing with THAT feeling.
This morning I have been back to the hospital for my EP test. I am sure the lady on reception looked at me as if to say "not YOU again". They should give out loyalty cards like they do at supermarkets, I'd have tons of points by now. The amount I have paid out in hospital parking alone would be enough to feed a small country.
The test itself was straight forward, they put electrodes all over your head and you sit and stare at a red dot on a screen that gets bigger and smaller as black and white checks move all around it. The lady doing the test said the results were normal. I asked her what that means and she said it just means that my optic nerve hasn't been damaged. Of course this is good news but I am so nervous that all of these new tests will show nothing and I will be left in limbo land with a diagnosis of "Probably MS". This will mean that my GP will continue to fob me off as "anxious" and I won't get the support of an MS nurse.
I suppose I shouldn't jump the gun and assume the "worst" as the CSF results from my lumbar puncture aren't in yet and I am probably getting ahead of myself. It strikes me as odd that for me "the worst" is that all my tests will be normal but I am sure that anyone in Limbo Land with symptoms will get where I am coming from. It is much better to know what you are up against, how can you fight a faceless enemy?
I sit here writing with the bottoms of my feet totally numb. As I rub my feet back and forth on the carpet and I can feel it on my toes (and the ball of my feet) but not my heels, it is sooooo weird. My legs are heavy, like they are full of wet sand but not so bad that I can't walk. My head has that awful cold sensation going on, like my brain is sitting in ice cubes. Something has be causing my body to feel all of these funky feelings, right? This is NOT all in my head. I wonder if other people have moments like this when they question their sanity. What if this IS all in my head, should I start shopping for that sparkly pink straight jacket? I mean, if I am going to the funny farm then I still want to look good.

I was chatting to other MSers on Twitter this morning and was advised by one of my favourite charities that I stalk, I mean follow, (The Multiple Sclerosis Resource Centre) to call and speak to one of their advisors. I explained that I would probably cry and embarrass myself but I was assured that this is what they are there for and so I thought, why not? and made the call.
As feared I blubbed like a fool through the whole conversation but my goodness that woman was a SAINT! Just to have someone listen and VALIDATE my feelings was amazing and it felt good to offload my fears of being stuck in Limbo Land. The lady was so kind and totally understood where I was coming from. She told me that I could call back any time, even if I don't ever get the official diagnosis and she would advise me where to go next.
I said to her that I just want one of two things. I either want an absolute diagnosis so that I can move forward OR I want the symptoms gone so that I can have my life back, go running and get rid of some of this bloody weight that I have gained through being sedentary. Feeling rubbish about myself on top of feeling ill in general is not helping. I am MUCH to vain to have to squeeeeeeeze into my skinny jeans.
It was a great comfort though after all of the bad experiences I have had lately with people like my own GP and the idiot moron at A&E last week that there is some really good help out there if you know how to find it. I can't thank the MSRC enough for the work they do. They even tweeted me to ask how my head was feeling, that means SO much to me! If you haven't already, please join them on Facebook and/or Twitter.
Anyway, for now I am oh SO grateful that the awful pain in my head is gone and on top of that, it is the weekend. I am looking forward to watching the new episode of Benidorm on TV later (love that show because it is so stupid that it makes it funny) and I may even have a cheeky glass of wine or two. Happy Friday my friends.
So enough about me, how are YOU?
Enjoying your tales. If you were diagnosed in December 2011, why are you being tested again?
ReplyDeleteI was a private patient, when I switched back to NHS the Neuro wanted to "tick the boxes" as he put it. I was Dx in Dec based on history, sx and brain MRI but now it has been put back to "probable MS" and am waiting for LP results. :/ I just want a definitive answer.
DeleteBy clinical standards you will be "probable MS" until you have 2 documented relapses. Some doctors will say yes it it MS like mine did even though I only had 1 documented relapse but based off of my MRI which showed previous lessions, my left hearing nerve (whatever the hell that thing is called) was damaged and all symptoms pointed to it and I tested negative for every other disease in this world. Private neuro's will say yes and don't always follow the national guidelines but any MS specialist follows the "rule" book. The difference between probable MS and a true dx is nothing more than documentation. If you are seeing the proper MS specialist even if it is only probable MS the recommended treatment is all the same. They will recommend disease modifying drugs, yearly MRI's and yearly appt. with your neuro.
Deletemy dx came from a private neuro too and when I starting see a MS specialist they told me no, you are probable MS but not a final dx. When I asked them if that means I don't need an MRI or to see them until it happens again they about had a cow. They have tried to persuade me into taking meds too but I'm not going for it. 1 year of Rebif was enough for me. I have been over 4 years without meds or a relapse and will probably drop the neuro and yearly MRI's after this summer.
DeleteKaren...you ALWAYS seem to post exactly what I am thinking, LOL! I wouldn't wish this on anyone, except my neuro right now (JK), but am glad to be able to speak with someone who completely understands. And, YES I have questioned my sanity at times. I've thought...if I don't have MS...do other people feel this type of pain and strange sensations and just endure? Am I weak? I've spent many years keeping things to myself and wondering, but NO MORE. I'm going to get an answer if it kills me. They say God doesn't bring you to something he won't take you through....that is my belief. I (and you) will get through, one day at a time. I believe we are just "SUPER WOMEN"...enduring more pain, fatigue and strife than anyone without the affliction will ever understand and for that we are STRONGER, WISER, AND MORE COMPASSIONATE PEOPLE. THAT....I am thankful for. Take care my friend and hopes that you will remain headache free!!! <3 <3
ReplyDeleteSherri
Sherri,
DeleteWe are in the same boat, just on different sides of the pond. We WILL get our answers because these symptoms have to be being caused by something.
My Neuro in Florida thought I had MS over 20 yrs ago but the MRI was normal. I think it was just a case of lesions not showing.
I am nervous because I have MSer friends who had a "normal" LP but were dx from their MRI. It feels so weird HOPING for an abnormal result.
If I get NORMAL results then I want a NORMAL life back please!!
Love you chick
xxxx
Karen,
DeleteThe thing is that the peoble that have normal LP and lesions in brain, they have to have shown two (I think) separated relapses, that doctors can prove. I have many, many symptoms but not clear enaugh relapses to be diagnozed. So that is why so many of us are in limbo.
There are SO many other diseases out there not just the B12 and lyme. I´ve been reading alot, and even though I think I have ms, I can totally understand that it takes time to sort it out and see how it developes. I have been writing down all of the ms mimics, that is out there and you can still have lesions. Today I was a little scared reading about multible myeloma, it can affect the neuro system so much. So that is why it is better to be sure.
Take care,
Sirry
i am having a bad time, i have been in relapse now for just over a week now and just been to the hospital to see the ms nurse , she is lovely and she got me in to see my neuroligist without even a blink of the eye, he was so sympathetic and that really helped because i always doubt myself when it comes to relapses, so i am now on the lovely steriods again for 5 days, so i am going back to bed to cuddle in as i had rubbish sleep and i now have a headache and dissiness. but i am glad that you are feeling better karen xxxxx
ReplyDeleteI am so sorry you are having a relapse Shirley, I will keep you in my thoughts and send out positive vibes that your steroids kick in FAST and you get relief soon.
DeleteLots of love to you my friend.
Thanks for the well wishes too :)
xxx
SO glad you are feeling better!!! <3
ReplyDeleteThanks Brenda - it is not entirely gone (in fact it is kicking in a bit now but I think I just need to rest) but my goodness it is SO much better.
DeleteLots of love to you
xxx
Thank you for your kind words, Karen ;O)
ReplyDeleteYAY!!! :) So glad your headache is on it's way out, now fingers crossed for a proper DX xxx
ReplyDeleteGlad you are sounding more up beat. Hope you have a lovely weekend. Love ya xxxxx Gill xxx. OMG It now things I'm anonymous, but at least I'm one step closer to commenting...lol. xxxxx
ReplyDeleteSo glad the headache is fading....know exactly where you are coming from as I initally saw my consultant as a private patient for years.I was expecting the diagnosis and relieved that I didn't have an overactive imagination just an overactive immune system!!
ReplyDeleteHang in there as I am sure there is light at the end of the very long and curvy tunnel x
So glad your are feeling better today. The spinal headaches are the WORST headaches EVER!!
ReplyDeleteI'm not exactly sure which test(s) confirmed to my Neuro that I had MS. I started out with having blurred vision. My GP sent me to Ophthalmologist, who sent me for MRI because he couldn't find anything wrong (except that he tried to blame an anti-depressant I had been on for YEARS). MRI came back with lesions on my brain, so I had to see Neuro.
Neuro sent my for another MRI of both brain and spine, first without contrast and then with. He ran Brainstem Auditory Evoked Potentials (BAEP)test, Visual Evoked Potentials (VEP), Sensory Evoked Potentials (SEP) test.
Neuro also had some different blood tests run.
I went back to Neuro's office in a few weeks when all results were back and had a dx of MS.
Anyway, hope after all your tests are done, that you will FINALLY get a diagnoses and can begin to get on with your 'new' life!!
Best of luck to you,
Jessie
I'm so glad you finally feel better. The fact that you found someone who cared enough to really listen is a miracle these days. It's those people who need our recognition for being the saints they are. Wishing you the best. Faith
ReplyDeleteI have something that could help you. I am an artist and I just finished editing and illustrating a book for a well-known food scientist, Woodrow Monte, PhD, in which he reveals in detail his discovery of the cause of Multiple Sclerosis. I am now doing everything I can to get the word out to people who are suffering from MS. Dr. Monte’s work is sound and his conclusions are undeniable in face of the voluminous evidence he provides. He has been working with several MS patients who, based on his findings, are getting their lives back. One who was in very bad shape not long ago is now driving and riding her horse for the first time in six years. His findings explain why such diets as the “Cave Man” diet actually result in some remission in symptoms.
ReplyDeleteDr. Monte proves that the simple one and only cause of MS is exposure to methanol. It is the methanol in cigarettes that is responsible for the known link between MS and smoking. It is the methanol in Ditto machines that is responsible for the MS cluster in school teachers. And it is the methanol in aspartame, which is heavily consumed in diet sodas, that is responsible for the explosion of MS in the past 30 years since its approval by the FDA for use in diet drinks. Methanol is found in lesser amounts in several common foods as well, but all are easily avoided.
When consumed, it is converted by the enzyme known as Alcohol Dehydrogenase Class 1 (ADH1) into formaldehyde inside the body’s most sensitive tissues. Formaldehyde works as an embalming agent because it is very "sticky" - it is a molecule that grabs onto anything it comes in contact with, and it ties all the cells together, causing a rubberizing effect. Once inside the brain, the formaldehyde quickly attaches to the myelin sheaths, and that change prompts the body's white blood cells to devour the damaged sheaths. The myelin sheath can regenerate if it is not yet entirely destroyed - which is why MS sufferers experience periods of remission and why avoiding methanol in the diet and environment can cure MS if it hasn't gone too far.
I will send anyone who asks the chapter from Dr. Monte’s book that deals specifically with MS. Just email me at beckymillerartist at yahoo dot com. I won't use your address for anything else and I won't share it with anyone. More information about Dr. Monte and his work can be found on his website: www.WhileScienceSleeps.com. Read reviews of his book here: http://www.amazon.com/While-Science-Sleeps-Woodrow-Monte/dp/1452893675/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1325305395&sr=1-1