Good Morning Bleeps.
I hope you are all well today and looking forward to the weekend. I am because my Mum arrives from Florida in the morning and the girls break up for a week from school. No more school runs for a while, yay!
Last night I got a phone call from a lovely lady called Shirley to invite me to come in for my Lumbar Puncture on Tuesday. I joked with her that it is the WORST Valentines Day date offer EVER! I have to go in for a 10am appointment and I won't lie, I am dreading it.
I am also feeling a little bit confused and frustrated this morning because this is all so "arse about face". You see if I had just waited for my NHS appointment (a 2 month wait to see the Neuro) then I would still be nowhere near where I am now. I would still be suffering with symptoms of an unknown illness, a Limbo-Lander. As many of you know, I wasn't prepared to wait any longer (to be fair I was fobbed off by my GP for two years as an "anxiety" case) so I paid out of pocket to see a Neurologist privately. Within two weeks I had my brain MRI and was told there were lesions and yes, it is MS.
I then asked to be transferred back to the NHS to continue my journey as I can't afford to keep paying but now I have to do more tests as a result because the Doctor needs to "tick all of the boxes". So, I get a diagnosis in December of MS based on my history (I had symptoms in my 20s and it was "possible MS" then until I got a clear MRI, which happens in up to 10% of cases) as well as my current symptoms and MRI results. I felt like I had my answer finally but now I have to have more tests. What's the point? I have MS friends who had a "normal" Lumbar Puncture but lesions on the brain scan (like me). No test is conclusive so why put myself through this? Not everyone has to have a LP to get their "official" diagnosis. I am frustrated at what feels like a backward step. Of course I don't HAVE to have the tests, there is no gun to my head but if I don't then I wont get any medication or support from the health care system.
Also, he repeated all the blood work that I just had done in December to rule out other mimics (such as Lyme) so why do them again? He already has those results. Again, have to "tick those boxes".
So on Monday I have another MRI (of my spine this time), Tuesday is the dreaded LP and Wednesday I get fitted with my heart monitor. I should get a loyalty card at the hospital (or at least discounted parking).
It has got me thinking though (and hoping I suppose). What else could cause these symptoms and also show brain lesions? I am not finding anything on Google, everything points back to what I have already been diagnosed with and that is MS. I can't help thinking though, "what if?" "what if the initial diagnosis was wrong?" "what if this is something other than MS?" "what else could cause all of this tingling, numbness, vision disturbance, fatigue and everything else?" "what if this will just all be a bad dream and go away?" I wonder how many other people go through this? Hoping that it is a mis-diagnosis and that it will all just disappear.
What if all of the rest of my tests come back normal? Where will I be then? Right where I am now I suppose, which is with no medication to help the symptoms and no MS nurse to turn to. If this does happen do I seek out an MS specialist for a second opinion? How does one do that on the NHS? I have no clue. I feel like I am dangling here a little bit with no guidance. I am worried that my Neurologist will send me away with my "bothersome symptoms" as he so kindly put it.
If that does happen then what do I do next time something else goes numb or when I have that bothersome little symptom of going BLIND? Deal with it? Man up? Stop moaning and just get on with it? Yes please, I hear you shout!
I guess I am just nervous about the test itself (not a great Valentines gift is it?) but more so I am afraid to get the results. It would be great if they all came back clear of course but it still leaves me with a dodgy brain MRI and feeling unwell every day. I guess it would be nice if I just woke up to find that this had all just been a very bad dream, now THAT would be really sweet.
So enough about me, how are YOU?

I am also very apprehensive today. Today is my neuro appt. I, unlike you, would be "happy" to hear it is MS BECAUSE I KNOW IT IS! Granted, none of these test are conclusive and the last MRI I had showed no lesions (T1 machine, though). I also get angry of having to "prove" that my symptoms are real and ARE something! It gets so frustrating. No wonder people with MS get depressed. It's bad enough having to suffer with the day to day disability, but then to be put on the spot of having to prove I'm actually going through all of this just makes me angry. I literally had to make a list this week of my symptoms (they are so varied and so numerous), I figured I would foget half of them when I get to the neuro! I guess I will approach it this way..if they are gonna tell me I don't have MS, my approach is going to be....THEN YOU PROVE I DON'T AND IN ADDITION....TELL ME WHAT I DO HAVE, BECAUSE I KNOW IT'S NOT IN MY DAMN HEAD!!! I have no more tolerance for dismissive doctors..it's been 8 years of this and I feel that is long enough to suffer in silence.
ReplyDeleteI DO hope you feel better and get the answers you also seek. I pray for us all everyday and hopefully the answers we all seek will come quickly. Take care....God Bless!!
Sherri
If it's being done by an experienced neuro nurse or similar then you'll be fine. I had my second one a couple of weeks ago and took a couple of diazepam before and that help me relax so was easier to perform. I've been diagnosed with TM rather than MS but sounds like a lot of the tests are the same.
ReplyDeleteLouise x
Hope you have a GOOD WEEKEND. I hate the fact the dr says "MS" BUT still makes you do 100 tests..the same happened to me. I am not on any meds yet..and keep wondering if I am "hurting myself" by not being on any yet? The worse part is not having any definate answers I guess..What if it isnt MS? And I get on meds for it? What if it IS MS, and I havent taken anything yet? If I am to get stuck with a disease, why does it have to be one like this...too many what ifs and maybes.. SO damn confusing. I am glad I have found you, and your blog..there is NOBODY to share with here, I live in U.S. (west Virginia) in a small town.. NO MS specialists.. Because of this MS..I have lost friends..(Friends?? guess they werent) and still have to act *normal* when inside I am a worried scared wreck...because nobody understand what I am going through.. My daughter is only 14...Will I still be able to be her *mom* as she knows me? Will this optic neuritis leave so I can watch her dance in march? I dont WANT TO SCARE HER..so I try to be as *normal* as I can..Her dad died when she was 9. It is a rough road I (we) are on my friend.. If I was closer to you, I would be there holding your hand thru it, saying I dont know what the hell we are in for but you have a friend...We are on different sides of the planet.. But I will be thinking about you..and hoping you have a pain free procedure. Cant you reschedule it? Tell them you will be out of town for a romantic trip on that holiday! Good luck!
ReplyDeleteHi Brenda. I also live in a small WV town and also live in MS limbo right now. Leaving today for Duke University Neurology. Look me up on Facebook. Beth Ann Vance or email: bethannvance@live.com. I would be happy to "hold hands" with you on this journey!
DeleteAnother great read,Thank you....Brenda if you like send me a friends request,I live in Kansas,have optic neuritis lost vision in both eyes,left in Nov right about 3 wks ago,I have now refused anymore MRI's,refused drugs,like to talk to you...Jackie Rose
ReplyDeleteCleaner 48 is my new user name,but its just me Jackie,dont want you to think I stopped following you :-)
DeleteHello! I was diagnosed with Ms in November 2009. I live in the same town as you. I awas tols in March 2010 that I need not have had a lumbar puncture and would have been given a MS diagnosis on the MRI scan. Wishing you well. TeeBee
ReplyDeleteSorry about my awful typing errors!
DeleteSorry to her hat it's all a little pants at the moment - that is a lousy Valentines gift :(
ReplyDeleteI have (thus far) managed to avoid the LP and was diagnosed through my MRI results alone in 2006.
I'm currently relapsing but have to say that my nurse has been amazing - she has really helped to pushed for another set of scans and I'm due to go for this on Friday morning. I have to admit that i'm nervous about the results as this is my first major relapse since starting Rebif Injections almost 2 years ago...... I really don't know where we can go next but I have the confidence in my Ms nurse to know she is fighing in my corner.
Here's to finding a cure one day (soon hopefully)!
xx
Hi Karen. I read your blog every day:) You are doing great with this having just been diagnosed so recently! You have your ups and downs and smile right through it. I too try to keep my sense of humor LOL. I had my Lumbar puncture on Friday the 13th! Last month. Barely felt it. Drank coffee and tried to lay around for a day afterwards to avoid headache and it worked. No problems. However, it did come back negative. I have had 3 doctors tell me it is most likely MS. Leaving today for Duke University in NC hoping to get the "evidence" they need to properly diagnose and treat me despite a negative MRI and LP. So frustrating since I am having problems with walking. Shaky, numb, weak legs as well as dizziness, fatigue and blurry vision at times. I am jealous of you though because if drink alcohol it makes the dizziness worse and then I worry I will stagger like a drunk (which I sometimes do anyway)! I would like a glass of wine:) you hang in there, enjoy your mom and family and keep on taking it one day at a time!
ReplyDelete