Good Afternoon Bleeps.
I am in SO MUCH PAIN and just read this:
Postdural Puncture Headache
Post-lumbar puncture or, more precisely termed, postdural puncture headache (PDPH), is the most common complication of lumbar puncture, occurring in up to 40% of patients. The headache begins within 48 hours in 80% and within 72 hours in 90%, although the onset can be immediately after the procedure or delayed for as long as 14 days. The duration of the headache is less than 5 days in about 80%, although the headache can persist for 12 months.
The headache is usually but not always bilateral and may be characterized by frontal, occipital, or generalized pressure or throbbing occurring when the patient is upright, and diminishing or resolving when supine. The headache worsens with head movement, coughing, straining, sneezing, and jugular venous compression
I feel like printing this out, going to the William Harvey Hospital and finding the "Doctor" who told me these headaches come on within 12 -24 hours so I was UNUSUAL and sticking it up his .... never mind. That jerk basically implied I was exaggerating or being a drama queen. I can't see straight from the pain. The useless @$$.
Please keep everything crossed for me that I am not one of the people who has to suffer for up to 12 months or I will be finding a bridge to jump off (if I can ever get off this sodding couch first).
Toodles.
x
maybe you should print it out and give it to the dr as he was so unhelpful i hope you feel better soon xx
ReplyDeleteThank you - I do feel like it. x
DeleteHugs to you. Headaches can be a real pain in the ass :-( Yesterday i spent in my bed, becorse off a miagren attack.
ReplyDeleteThere is nothing worse than doctors, who dosen`t belive you. I have bin in that situation myself. You just feel like your word`s don`t mean nothing at all. The worst thing is that the person infront of you, is the one who has the power of changing the painfull situation that your in.
I Don`t think your pain is going to stay for as long as 12 months, but it is easy to think the worst, when you are at you lowest and in a lot of pain.
Lay down, drink a lot of coca-cola, heard that those things has a god inpact on your kind of pain. Hugs to you // Ulrika
Thank you Ulrika,
DeleteI dont think it will last 12 months, I was being a drama queen there. I am drinking lots of coffee as it is true that caffeine is supposed to help.
Thank you for you kind support. I am sorry you spent yesterday in bed with a migraine - it is so painful.
Love to you
xx
I KNOW that completely obliterating pain. It is also why I have never consented again to having another LP done. Indeed, I might resurrect a poem I once wrote about it.
ReplyDeleteJudy
I would love to read it. xx
DeleteHow much water did you drink before the procedure? I was just dx'd june 2011. I heard from a lot of people to drink a ton of water and that's what I did. I didn't get the headache, HOWEVER, I had such a great doctor (/sarcasm), when there wasn't enough fluid coming out fast enough. He put the table vertical and removed the needle...and shoved it back in. He hurt a nerve branch down there and needles to say I looked like quasimodo for a week. :/
ReplyDeleteI wasnt told to do anything before the test. I had read that I should lay flat for a few hours but my Doctor actually said I would be ok to go out to dinner that night. :/
DeleteI am sorry that you had a bad experience too although I am glad that you didnt get the head from hell. Its sooo painful :(
when i was in hospital i was told that i needed a lumber puncture as they were unsure why i was paralized, two junior drs came along and proceeded to try and do this procedure and they both had a go at it and both failed, i was in agony, i also had extremly painful back at the time, then 2 days later a consultant came along and said she was an expert at lb anfd so she tried and failed, i was then trtansferred to addenbrooks hospital and the lb was then done under xray conditions, so needless to say i will never agree to having another one , it came back clear, but i do have ms because of leisions etc so these test are not conclusive to diagnosis of ms
ReplyDeleteOh Shirley you poor thing.
DeleteI asked the Doc about getting a clear test but she said it never happens. I told her I have MSer friends who had a "normal" LP result and she looked at me like I was crazy. I swear, I am losing all faith in the medical field. :(
xx
I refused a lumbar puncture back in December and Karen I am very thankful that I did,hoping you get to feeling better soon.
ReplyDeleteThanks Jackie, I would NEVER have it done again. You couldnt pay me to do it.
Deletexx
Hello dear Karen, I'm Gilmar, 23 yo, from Brazil and MS owner.
ReplyDeleteGot to say that lumbar puncture sucks!
Hate this thing! The big needle they used fear me and the procedure is so painfull!
I'm crossing fingers for you to get always better, ok?
Kisses and hugs!
www.twitter.com/eunotuitter
Hello Gilmar :)
DeleteThank you for your message and your well wishes. I didnt see the needle and I am so glad I didnt or I would have been even more scared.
Thanks for the hugs and kisses too :)
xx
Karen....I read this with tears...I am so sorry for what you are going through and send prayers your way. I DO hope you feel better soon! All my MRI's were "normal" so I am getting absolutely NOWHERE! I'm just waiting for the suggestion of a LP, at which time I will reply, "ABSOLUTELY NOT"! The way I figure...I'm in enough pain, I DON't need some egotistical doctor inflicting more! I've made the decision to go to an acupuncturist. I figure....it can't hurt, right? At least their needles are small and painless, LOL!
ReplyDeleteDO get better....thinking of you!!
Sherri
Thank you Sherri,
DeleteI feel we are in similar boats and I feel your pain. Not everyone will have this LP experience but I have to be honest - never again!!!
I have heard good things about acupuncture. Let me know how you get on with it.
xxxx