Saturday, 25 February 2012

Emergency Dental Trip - Oh Joy!

Good Morning Bleeps.

I think I did something REALLY bad in a previous life. In fact, if you are the sort of person that believes in reincarnation I think I am coming back as a bog brush in my next one. Yesterday my headache finally went completely, I could lean forward and pick things up off the floor without feeling like my brain was going to fall out through my eye sockets. I felt like I had been reborn. It was such a relief that all of my other symptoms which usually piss me off such as numbness, tingling and heavy limbs weren't even going to get me down. I was just SO relieved to be out of that skull crushing agony of the lumbar headache. Free at last, yay!

I had a nice relaxing evening with my family and even treated myself to some cheeky wine. I say "some" because if I say a glass I will be lying and that's not how I roll. I didn't go to bed too late and drifted off into a lovely sleep quite quickly while snuggled up to my man.

I hadn't been asleep long when Karma decided to take a pickaxe and sink it into the side of my face. I was woken up by the most excruciating pain. It covered the whole left side of my face, I was literally writhing in agony with it. It started at the top of my head, spread down the whole side of my face right under the bottom of my jawline. Seriously? What the hell did I do to deserve this pain when my headache had only just subsided?

It felt as though all of the bones in my face (even my cheekbones) were throbbing and my tongue felt as though it would explode. As some of you might remember from my previous blog, I have a broken molar at the back of my mouth on the left side. If this was a toothache then I have never felt one like it before. I popped two Tylenol PM tablets hoping that they would kick the pain and get me back to sleep. I lay there crying yet again, holding my face and cursing at the injustice of it all. WHY? For flipping heck's sake, didn't I deserve a break? Some respite from pain?  This had to be some sort of cosmic joke.

I called my dentist office this morning and was lucky to get an emergency appointment. He took some x-rays and sure enough, there is an infection in the nerve. What is the deal with my bloody nerves? If they aren't spazzing out on their own now they are getting infected, brilliant!



The dentist dug it all out and filled it with an antibiotic paste. He has also given me antibiotics to start taking if the pain doesn't go by Monday. I am glad that I don't have to take them right away as we are going out for an Indian tonight and I was initially bumming out when he mentioned antibiotics as I like to have wine with my meal (I know, you are shocked by this revelation) and there is a vicious rumour that you can't drink alcohol while taking them.

So the course of action is that I will be going back for a root canal and a crown, an expense I could really do without right now but hey ho, what can you do? At least I am not in pain now because my face is completely numb from the Novacane and the kids are having fun laughing at my funny mouth when I talk. In fact Maddy just actually pointed at  me and laughed, I can't imagine who she takes after for her sadistic sense of humour. ;)

So enough about me, how are YOU?













6 comments:

  1. sorry to hear you are in pain again but fingers crossed when the numbness goes it will be ok and you will have a great meal tonight hun thinking you might get a good week next week hopefully xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Karen, Sending you some feel better hugs!! Maybe your toothache has been there awhile, but, you couldnt feel it because the headache from the lp was so intense?? and, when it subsided, you were actually able to notice the *lesser* pain? (dont mean lesser, as in NOT painful LOL) Enjoy your night! If your face is still numb, take a straw for your wine :) that way you wont waste a drop! Hang in there my friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is exactly what I was thinking...the pain of the tooth was masked by the pain of your head after the LP. Hopefully you won't be in pain after the numbness wears off. I usually have to take some aleve or ibroproferin (sp?) after the pain wears off. For some reason the tooth usually hurts after that....don't know if its from work that was being done or what. But usually the pain is gone by the next day :)

      Delete
  3. I love your blog :) I look forward to reading it everyday. Its always guaranteed to make me laugh. The fact that this "thing" or "entity" is taking over our bodies and that I'm not the only one who has to put up with its constant invasion. I sometimes think I have Tourette's the amount of swearing I can come off with, either due to pain or pure damn frustration that I can't do something. Anyway lots of love and I look forward to reading to next one emma

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck I just finished up my crown after my Christmas Eve root canal! Craziest pain I ever felt. So glad it's over.
    I wish you speedy dental work.

    Daria

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am light-headed and feel odd in a way that is hard to explain. Almost like being a bit drunk or something, it is so hard to explain and even harder to not get down about.

    ReplyDelete